Award in Access to Operating Theatres (SCQF Level 8)
|Qualification Title||Award in Access to Operating Theatres|
|SQA-Accreditation Qualification Number||R556 04|
|QCF / RQF / EQF Level *||5|
* Equivalent level. See Qualifications can Cross Boundaries for a comparison of the UK and European Qualifications Frameworks.
The Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF) is the national qualifications framework for Scotland. This qualification is credit-rated for the SCQF by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA). See the SCQF Qualifications Database for the full list of EduQual’s SCQF credit-rated qualifications.
The qualification consists of the following unit:
|Unit Title||SQA Accreditation Code||SCQF Credit||SCQF Level|
|Access to Operating Theatres||UL62 04||3||8|
This qualification is for learners who wish to join the new credentialing register for Life Sciences sector staff and need to meet the criteria of all three tiers of the standards of proficiency.
Upon completion of the qualification, learners should know and understand:
- their speciality area/product, its use/application, and where appropriate can impart knowledge of this use/application, and
- infection control risks and processes appropriate to their role
Learners may have contact with patients or relatives in areas where invasive procedures are taking place. Learners must know and understand the risks and processes relevant to their role, including information governance and patient safety. They must also know and understand risks, roles and responsibilities, etiquette, protocols and processes for high risk settings, e.g. theatre, cardiac labs, critical care and paediatric wards.
This course is recognised by Cogent Skills (the employer-led skills body for the UK Science sector) as being successfully mapped to the ‘National Occupational Standards’ and can be delivered and assessed in partnership with HC Skills International.
The programme has also been recognised or endorsed by:
- Training Qualifications UK (TQUK), an Ofqual-recognised awarding organisation
- The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow (RCPSG)
- Association for Perioperative Practice (AfPP)
- British Anaesthetic and Respiratory Equipment Manufacturers Association (BAREMA)
- Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA)
- Association of British Healthcare Industries (ABHI)
Note: Learners who do not expect to access areas of critical care should consider the Award in Access to Hospitals.